The Impact of Home Improvement Services Advertising on Purchase Behavior
TVB broadcast member PowerPoints & VOD available – members must be logged in to view this additional content.
The goal of the Home Improvement Purchase Funnel 2021 study was to identify and highlight media platforms’ critical role in influencing consumers during their purchase decision process.
TVB commissioned GfK to field a study that looked at the influence of over 20 media platforms on home improvement consumers’ purchase decisions. To qualify, a respondent needed to be 18 years or older, have made a home improvement purchase or planned to make a purchase, and saw/heard advertising for the category on ANY of 20+ platforms. Exposure to a TV ad was NOT a prerequisite to participate. Even so, the study confirmed the value of television, as it was the most important influencer throughout all stages of the purchase funnel. The study was fielded July 8th through July 21st during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and like last year, the study uncovered interesting consumer motivations related to this adjusted environment.
Media Platforms Analyzed
Some key findings:
- Television is the most important influence at all stages of the purchase funnel.
- Local broadcast TV is #1 for trust among all media platforms and local broadcast TV station websites/apps are #1 for trust among digital platforms. Social media is the least trusted platform.
- Exposure to TV ads motivated consumers to action.
- 65% of adults have both purchased and intend to purchase home improvement services.
- 76% of respondents said that COVID-19 got them thinking more about home improvement projects.
- 94% of respondents said that TV ads have influenced their home improvement search