The 2023 Media Comparisons Study, conducted by GfK and commissioned by TVB, continues to be a key industry resource for multimedia usage and effectiveness. This study explores the many different ways individuals consume traditional, digital and streaming media, comparing reach, time spent, daily news sources, most trustworthy news sources and level of community involvement.
Additionally, the study reveals the role each medium plays in motivating consumers to learn more about a product or service. The findings include demographic, ethnic and product category drilldowns. The 2023 Media Comparisons Study once again confirms the power of television and continues to highlight broadcast TV as the top medium for consumers.
Some key findings
- TV has the highest reach and time spent of all media platforms studied, for all age groups and categories measured.
- If streaming platforms have no advertising, advertisers cannot reach these viewers via streaming, but broadcast assets can reach most of them.
- Broadcast websites add more reach to broadcast TV than cable or streaming.
- More than four times as many respondents viewed programs with ads on linear TV on a larger screen (TV set) than on their smartphone.
- Local broadcast TV is turned to most for local news and is the most trusted platform.
- TV is the top advertising medium for purchase influence and motivating respondents to learn more about products.
- Television ads are motivation to do further research online.
For more information, please contact Hadassa Gerber, Chief Research Officer, TVB.