Streaming TV is an increasingly hot topic, but there is little discussion of how effective it is for reaching, engaging, and influencing consumers.
GfK (Growth from Knowledge) conducted two high profile studies in 2023 for TVB: Media Comparisons and The Purchase Funnel. Media Comparisons Study respondents were aligned with U.S. census data to develop a better understanding of media usage in the U.S. The Purchase Funnel Study focused on consumers in key advertising categories and the influence different media platforms had on their purchase decision process.
Both studies asked questions about linear TV usage and streaming usage. This enabled TVB to analyze how ad-supported streaming platforms stack up against linear television when it comes to both media usage and consumer influence.
The bottom line is that linear TV is far more effective for reaching, engaging, and influencing consumers than ad-supported streaming platforms.
- Linear TV has much higher reach than ad-supported streaming.
- People spend much more time with linear TV than ad-supported streaming.
- People were far more exposed to ads on linear TV compared with ads on streaming.
- Among those exposed to streaming ads, 9 out of 10 respondents stated that ads were not important at all for building awareness of a product/service.
- Linear TV is the primary influencer at all stages of the purchase funnel. Streamers with ads have only a fraction of TV’s influence.
- Linear TV is a far bigger influence than ad-supported streamers across major consumer categories.
For more information, please contact Hadassa Gerber, Chief Research Officer, TVB.