The Impact of Advertising on Purchase Behavior
As younger Baby Boomers and Generation X near retirement age, interest and importance of active adult/retirement communities is growing. Advertisers have a unique opportunity to capitalize on this category.
The goal of the 2023 Purchase Funnel: Retirement Communities Study is to identify the importance of media platforms in influencing consumers during the purchase decision process. TVB commissioned GfK to conduct this study, which takes a close look at consumers who have already purchased a home in an active adult/retirement community and those who plan to.
The study answers key questions facing advertisers in this emerging consumer category
- How important are advertising exposures for influencing retirement community owners/prospects in their purchase decision process?
- How does advertising exposure match up with actual spending in this category?
- Are there key differences among segments in this market that are important for advertisers to know about?
- Who helps these consumers with their decisions, what are the most popular states and what are the criteria for selecting a retirement home?
Some key findings
- At 64%, television is the top platform for exposure to active adult/retirement community ads.
- Exposure to a media platform is not a guarantee of consumer importance, except for TV.
- More exposure to TV ads increases importance, trust, and preference.
- Television is the most important influencer at all stages of the purchase funnel. This is true for all key age groups and HH income levels.
- The primary source of news for respondents is broadcast TV.
- At 88%, local broadcast TV news is the most trusted among media platforms. Local TV news websites/apps are the most trusted among digital platforms. Social media is the least trusted.
For more information, please contact Hadassa Gerber, Chief Research Officer, TVB.