The Impact of Advertising on Purchase Behavior
The goal of the 2022 Purchase Funnel study is to identify the importance of media platforms in influencing consumers during the purchase decision process. TVB commissioned GfK to conduct this study, which looked at consumers exposed to advertising across nine categories through ANY of 20+ media platforms. As new media platforms proliferate and become more widely adopted by consumers, it is critical to ascertain their impact. While this study recognizes the role of a variety of different media platforms, it does confirm that television remains the most important influence by far, through all stages of the purchase decision process.
Media Platforms Analyzed
Some key findings:
- Television is the most important influencer at all stages of the purchase funnel. This is also true for all categories, key demos, ethnic groups, and opinion leaders.
- Local broadcast television news is #1 for trust among media platforms.
- Local broadcast TV station websites/apps are the most trusted among digital platforms.
- Social media is the least trusted.
- Exposure to TV ads motivated consumers to action.
For more information, please contact Hadassa Gerber, Chief Research Officer, TVB.