The Impact of Home Improvement Services Advertising on Purchase Behavior
The goal of the Home Improvement Purchase Funnel 2023 study was to identify and highlight media platforms’ critical role in influencing consumers during their purchase decision process.
TVB commissioned GfK to field a study that looked at the influence of over 20 media platforms on home improvement consumers’ purchase decisions. To qualify, a respondent needed to be 25+ years old, have made a home improvement purchase or planned to make a purchase, and saw/heard advertising for the category on ANY of 20+ platforms. Exposure to a TV ad was NOT a prerequisite to participate. Even so, the study confirmed the value of television, as it was the most important influencer throughout all stages of the purchase funnel. The study was fielded May 25th through June 12th, 2023.
Some key findings:
- Television is the most important influence at all stages of the purchase funnel.
- Local broadcast TV is #1 for trust among all media platforms, and local broadcast TV station websites/apps are #1 for trust among digital platforms. Social media is the least trusted platform.
- Broadcast TV is the primary news source among home improvement consumers.
- The more home improvement consumers are exposed to TV advertisements, the more TV is an important influence, and the more motivated, engaged, and trusting of TV they are.
- 94% of respondents said that TV ads have influenced their home improvement search selections.
- 58% of adults have both purchased and intend to purchase home improvement services.
- Discounts on products/services and people spending more time at home were the top motivators for starting a home improvement project.
- Flooring, landscaping, painting, and kitchen/bath renovation are the top home improvement services that respondents intend to buy in the next year.
For more information, please contact Hadassa Gerber, Chief Research Officer, TVB