Back to School & College 2022 PowerPoint
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, school environments have constantly shifted between at-home, hybrid and fully in-person learning. Last year saw the beginning of a return to normalcy and record back-to-class spending to go with it. That continues in 2022 as back-to-school shopping is in full swing once again. According to the National Retail Federation, back-to-school spending is projected to hit $36.9 billion and back-to-college spending is projected to reach $73 billion.
TVB’s 2022 Back to School & College shopping analysis highlights the importance of TV and demonstrates how retailers can drive consumer spending by using local broadcast TV to target back-to-class shoppers where they live, in-store and/or online.
TVB’s analysis of back-to-class 2022 shopping revealed that:
- Back-to-school spending is projected to hit $36.9 billion & back-to-college is projected to reach $73 billion.
- Most back-to-school shopping happens in late July and early August.
- TV advertising is imperative for influencing back-to-class shoppers.
- 9 out of 10 respondents said television influenced their search selections.
- Broadcast TV delivers top back-to-class ratings and reach.
- Local TV allows advertisers to target their message in a trusted environment.
- Broadcast TV delivers both in-store and online shoppers.
- Online shoppers and in-store shoppers selected television as the most important influence compared to other advertising media platforms.
- Broadcast TV assets can reach those who stream programming on ad-free platforms.
For more information, please contact Hadassa Gerber, Chief Research Officer, TVB.