After the COVID-19 pandemic altered many people’s Mother’s Day plans in 2020, Mother’s Day 2021 was much more of a return to normal, with many fully vaccinated from COVID-19. The National Retail Federation estimated that spending for Mother’s Day topped $28.1 billion in 2021. Mother’s Day 2022 seems to be much of the same, with 90% of Americans planning to celebrate the holiday.
According to TVB’s 2022 Mother’s Day shopping analysis, retailers can drive consumer spending by using local broadcast TV to target shoppers based on geography and retail categories. Additionally, it is increasingly important to reach both in-store and online shoppers, as consumers continue to shop both ways. Local broadcast TV can reach all shoppers, no matter how they choose to do their shopping.
TVB’s analysis of Mother’s Day 2022 gift shopping and TV viewing revealed that:
- Mother’s Day is the top spending event in the first half of 2022.
- 90% of consumers will shop for Mother’s Day & more than half of Americans plan to shop at a local store or restaurant for Mother’s Day.
- TV advertising is imperative for influencing Mother’s Day shoppers.
- 9 out of 10 respondents said television influenced their search selections.
- Broadcast TV delivers top Mother’s Day ratings and reach.
- Local TV allows advertisers to target their message in a trusted environment.
- Broadcast TV delivers both in-store and online shoppers.
- Online shoppers and in-store shoppers selected television as the most important advertising influence.
- Broadcast TV assets can reach those who stream programming on ad-free platforms.
For more information, please contact Hadassa Gerber, Chief Research Officer, TVB.